Core Consulting Group are a Microsoft Silver Partner in Project and Portfolio Management, qualified experts in Microsoft Project and Microsoft Project Server as well as their Office 365 SaaS offering Project
MS Project Innovations
Online. Since MS Project is such a popular tool for project planning and project scheduling, we have demonstrated leadership in innovating (e.g. extending the functionality of the tool) using a blend of configuration and customisation.
A sample of these innovations is made freely available in the attached template and user guide. We hope you find these useful and we invite feedback and comments. We do however provide no warranty and take no responsibility over their use and/or misuse. Users agree by downloading that they will recognise Core Consulting Group (CCG) as the Intellectual Property owners and that CCG provides a lisence for their use ongoing. Users agree that even if copied and distributed, CCG must be attributed as the original author.
CCG has much more advanced versions of these we provide to our clients.
Task Type Analysis – an interesting investigation into the tool’s behaviour in each of Fixed Duration, Fixed Units and Fixed Work.
Advanced MS Project capability
We have developed some fairly innovative approaches to extending MS Project including:
- Cross code reporting (reporting dates across the page rather than down – excellent for repetitive high volume projects)
- Interdependencies in multi project environments (passing through latest forecast dates but leaving control to the Project manager so that schedules “dont keep moving”
- Mapping and grouping effort and cost to other than outline structures – eg accounting codes
- Rollup Program reporting from multiple projects
- Trend reporting using macros to capture previous forecasts
- Simple Earned value calculations
Principles of Planning for IT Projects
Co-authored by Martin Vaughan and Paul Harris, this one day Project Planning course is designed for IT Professionals. It provides an excellent introduction to project planning and explains the fundamentals without using scheduling software.
This course can be delivered by Core Consulting Group via a one day instructor led course. Alternatively, the course can be downloaded and presented by an expert in your organisation. More information…
PMO Light – Lights on within a week!
PMO Light is an “off the shelf” Project Management framework designed to support standardisation of processes and practices. It enables consistency, visibility and process improvement across a group of projects and combines the benefits of:
- Cost effective, proven approach leveraging off the Microsoft Office suite
- Integrated governance process
- Standard gateway reporting for all projects
- Basic templates to set minimum standards for planning, controlling, cost management, benefits and lessons learned
- Document templates for key Project Management documents such as the Business Case
- A simple and effective portfolio reporting tool
- A deployment approach focusing on managing change
- Consistent with best practice (PMBOK, PRINCE2, Gateway Review)